Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Another Gaurdian Angel among us

She was married at 20 to my Uncle Leroy, they raised seven children and helped raise many others along the way. A shining example of love and marriage, 69 years of marriage this year. These photos show the love and devotion they have always shown our family.










Today my Aunt Leona passed away, she went into the hospital Thursday night with a brain bleed, they thought it would be 24 hours but being her normal get her way person she lasted until the moment they were going to move her home. I know she was still listening and wanted so badly to talk to us while in the hospital. She was so tiny but had the biggest personality of anyone I know. She was feisty and never met a stranger, they all were friends or on their way to becoming her friend even if they didn't know it.


I love the story my mom tells, Aunt Leona being the oldest sibling ran away when she found out my mom was on her way, she had had enough of younger siblings and did not want another one. They were 15 years apart so of course she came back and spoiled my mom along the way. So many stories we will miss now that she is not here to tell them.













I am lucky, I was able to spend my summers with my cousins and in turn got time with each of my aunts. So many memories of my times at Aunt Leona's. My earliest memory is that I could not say her name - Leona, it was frustrating as a kid not being able to pronounce the L.


The first house I really remember is the one in Naches, we would meet for holidays there, kids running everywhere, wheelbarrows of kids dumped in leaves. Walking to the park in huge groups. My summertime spent with Cherie, the discovery of the bookmobile. For a girl who loves to read the library on wheels was such a joy! Homemade ice cream on the back porch, all the kids taking turns turning the churn, helping to pit the cherries. Uncle Leroy's gardens always so beautiful.


My teen years they lived in Kennewick. I spent many a night in that backyard, roaming the neighborhoods with Cherie swimming whenever we could. I remember it being the weekend and Uncle Leroy loading us all up and heading to the swap meet, so much fun!


Easters spent at our house with all the cousins, and of course 2p and it was time for you to go, Uncle Leroy needed to water the garden you know!


Summers vacations at all the different spots, the Potholes, Fish Lake, and of course Curlew. My memory will always be of  her sitting in a lawn chair, her cigarette pouch in her hand. Running past her and her whipping that shoe off to smack our butts on the way by for being obnoxious or trying to get out of our night for dishes. In the 80's the shoe of choice was Dr. Scholl's, if you don't know what those are they are the wooden sole flip flops and they hurt if she caught you with them! I was happy when the soft soled shoes came back in. Hours upon hours sitting in her Caveman camper reading all the different comic books as a kid, romance novels as a teen. One of the many summer storms that came while camping at the Potholes and the tent came down on all of us kids. Aunt Leona dividing us and sending us off to a camper to get dry and warm.






For some reason people think bossy woman is a bad title, in this family full of bossy women she was the Queen, which is a coveted title. We have been known to give out a crown for it on our Curlew vacations. If she wanted it done she made it happen, not many would tell her no when she asked you to do something. Her home was always open, she invited everyone in and made them feel as if they were family. No surer sign of that then the presence of people that came through her hospital room to say their goodbyes. At least 50 family members not to mention her friends and church family. She was well loved.


My Uncle Leroy was given a diagnosis of a short time to live recently, I know my Aunt Leona did not want to be left here with out him, and in her usual flair she went on ahead and will prepare the way for him to join her. She was always taking care of people, even in death I believe.


I have lost some uncles but she is my first aunt to pass away. My Uncle Leroy has lost his partner of 69 plus years, my mom and her siblings have lost a sister, my cousins have lost their mom and grandma, her loss will be felt deeply for a long time. She has left a legacy of children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and so many others that have loved her.


Our grand family started with my grandparents and their love has been continued on in each of their children. They will be happy to see their oldest child when she joins them. We will be lucky to have one more angel to look over us. She will take bossy guardian angel to a whole new level so we all better be on our toes!


Godspeed and give Grandma and Grandpa a hug for us.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this! What a beautiful story and memory of your Aunt Leona.