Sunday, June 20, 2021

To all the fathers we love

So many Dads so little appreciation some days. Sometimes I feel dads are forgotten the rest of the year. They are so often the behind the scenes, hard working, making things happen people.  I am so grateful to love many. Especially thankful for the very best, my dad. Also for my husband who is the best dad my kids could have, and seeing my son as a dad now. Nothing is better than that.

Our dad has always been the hardest working person I know. He set a standard for work ethic. I see the same drive in my husband and kids.  Some may not know him well but he has the biggest heart and outpouring of love for everyone. Once he knows you, he hugs you so be prepared. 

Growing up with my dad he taught us so much. How to water ski (me, all my siblings, most of my cousins and many friends!), drive a boat, fish, draw, ride a bike, check the oil in my car, swim, to drive fast and my love of muscle cars. He showed us that he was willing to do most anything. Change the engine in an my car, re-fiberglass and reupholster a whole boat. Fix anything, and if he couldn’t he would find someone who could.

The most important thing he gave me are expectations on my relationship and what I wanted in a marriage. As in everything we should choose what we want from our parents examples for our own lives and leave what we don’t. If you know nothing else, let me tell you there has never been a doubt that my dad loves my mom, all of his children, and by children I mean both birth and those that are choosen, grandchildren and great grandchildren. He set an example of the love I wanted in my marriage. So many of his attributes that I love I see in Darrel. 

Dad is a prankster, I see his sense of humor in my boys. So many times he has made us laugh. One summer at Curlew he and my Uncle Duane thought it was hilarious to sink my cousin Diane and I. My Uncle Duane circled our raft in the boat while my dad was water skiing. My dad could throw the biggest rooster tail while slalom skiing. Filled our boat and we ended up swimming back. Many a summer someone would not get off the dock quick enough before dad came by and drenched them. If he and one of my uncles ask you to drive them bass fishing, just say NO! I tried one summer with him and Uncle Leroy and they caught way more trees than fish that trip, they thought it was hilarious. 

My parents have shown us what unconditional love is. They have shown us a deep faith in god, my dad was baptized into the Catholic faith after I was born. There is never a doubt how deeply he believes. Their example shines bright for so very many. Always willing to help others. 

Thank you dad for always being there, for loving us during the good and not so great times. You mean so much to us and we are forever grateful of the example you have given us to live by. 

Happy Father’s Day to all the amazing dads,especially mine,  your example shines on in all the kids that you have loved.


No comments: